Tommy Viator Jr.'s 1994 Honda Civic EX
Matt Holliday was one of Crutchfield's ace car enthusiasts for several years. He brought a lifetime of knowledge and experience to our team. He has since left the company to join the family business and pursue other interests.
More from Matt Holliday
- Eclipse CD5423 head unit
- Kenwood KFC-1669S 6.5" - front doors
- XTC 6.5" foam baffles - front door
- Polk Audio EX602a 6.5" - rear deck
- APC clear corner lens
- 2 Virtual Technologies Hammer Pro 10" woofers - trunk
- Lunar L100x2 amplifier - back of rear seat
- Code Alarm - Pro F10 (Elite 911) alarm
- Eurolite H4DP headlight bulbs
- APC racing pedals
- APC windshield washer lights - clear
- Stinger 4ga. amp wiring kit
- custom painted dash and accessories
I started this vehicle 2 years ago when I wrecked my '90 Honda Civic. I have been installing for about 15 years as a hobby and for friends. The car had an old Kenwood cd player when I purchased it but I was very familiar with Eclipse so i decided to replace it. I then had a custom box built for the two 10's and faced them to the rear in the trunk. I installed the Lunar amp on the back of the rear seat. The amp is equipped with a fan to keep it cool and is running at 4-ohm mono. The woofers are 4-ohm dual voice coil. The Polk speakers were in the car when it was purchased. I replaced the front ones with Kenwood (for no apparent reason) and put the baffles behind them because the original Polks in the doors had gotten wet. I then started on the appearance of the car with the clear corner lens, euro headlight bulbs, and the washer lights. I disassembled the dash and used the same color paint as the exterior to paint the dash components. Since the system has been installed, I have placed at two local competitions. The first was a legal SPL which I placed 1st with a reading of 144db. The second was an outlaw competiton which I placed 2nd with a reading of 149.4db.
- Why did you decide to upgrade your A/V system?
- I was bitten by the car/home audio bug about 15 years ago!
- What's the first thing you show people about your installation?
- I don't show them, I let them sit in the passenger side and put on a SPL CD and watch their expression.
- Why did you choose these products?
- I have always been impressed with Eclipse and Lunar. The Virtual Technologies were recommended by a local installer and I am very pleased with them.
- What was the most difficult part of the installation?
- Running the wires is always a pain, but I think getting the speaker box into the trunk was difficult because it just fit.
- What plans, if any, do you have for future upgrades?
- Want to replace the Polks in the rear.