About the Focal Theva No.3-D
Optimized for home theater buffs
The Theva No.3-D includes a dedicated up-firing driver in a directional baffle for immersive overhead home theater effects (grille included, not pictured).
Optimized for home theater buffs
As its name implies, the Focal Theva No.3-D features the fine performance qualities of the standard No.3 tower. Plus, it has a built-in, up-firing Dolby Atmos® speaker for three-dimensional home theater effects. The sleek cabinet includes a 5" full-range speaker on top, in addition to a highly accurate 1" tweeter, a dedicated 6-1/2" midrange, and two 6-1/2" woofers.
The carefully designed drivers serve up detailed sound, whether you're listening to stereo music or immersing yourself in Dolby Atmos movie or game soundtracks. And this speaker comes in three gorgeous finishes, so you can choose the one that best matches your decor.
Advanced driver array
The Theva No.3-D's drivers are hand-built in France, using a unique design process and high-tech materials.
The woofers and midrange driver are made from proprietary Slatefiber, which uses recycled, non-woven carbon fibers as a filling sandwiched between two layers of thermoplastic polymer. It's a unique material that provides superior rigidity, damping, and lightness — the three “essentials” of a great speaker driver.
The inverted dome tweeter is made from an aluminum/magnesium alloy for increased rigidity, reduced distortion, and wider dispersion. A finely tuned crossover network keeps all of the drivers working in perfect harmony.
The up-firing full-range driver also uses a Slatefiber cone with a coupled aluminum/magnesium high-frequency dome. A directional baffle aims the driver so it can create height effects that sound like they're coming from above your seating position. Separate grilles are included for the front and top.
The Theva No.3-D features a rear-firing port for deep, musical bass, while the top-firing driver is set in a built-in sealed acoustic chamber. The speaker sits on a sturdy base that's subtly tilted to focus the front drivers toward the listener for better immersion.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- 3-way front-firing driver array
- precise 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome TNF tweeter
- natural-sounding 6-1/2" Slatefiber midrange driver
- two 6-1/2" Slatefiber woofers for deep, powerful bass
- frequency response: 48-28,000 Hz
- up-firing full-range speaker
- 5" Slatefiber cone woofer with coupled aluminum/magnesium high-frequency dome
- directional baffle for localized, immersive 3-D effects
- frequency response: 100-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 40-250 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms (front); 6 ohms (up-firing)
- ported (bass-reflex) cabinet with rear-firing port
- included stand imparts upward tilt for improved soundstage
- binding posts accept pins, spade lugs, banana connectors, or bare wire
- removable magnetic cloth grilles
- designed and built in France
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12"W x 40-3/4"H x 16-1/4"D
- weight: 48.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # FTHEVAN3BK-D
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Front grille
- Top grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Nuts
- 4 Rubber feet
- 4 Screws
- 4 Washers
- Quick Start Guide
- Focal brochure
Customer reviews for Focal Theva No.3-D
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal Theva No.3-D
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon Fiber + Polymer|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||Built-in|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||48-28k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
1" Aluminum Magnesium TNF Tweeter: Made by Focal in France, the aluminum/magnesium TNF tweeter with inverted-dome delivers soft and precise treble that is easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. The main advantage of the inverted-dome design, apart from its very low directivity, lies in its use of a coil of small diameter (hence very light and better accelerating) directly fixed to the rigid dome for dynamic high frequency response. The Focal aluminum/magnesium TNF inverted-dome tweeter delivers an impressively stable soundstage for music and home theater applications.
- Poron Suspension: The suspension between the dome and its bracket uses Poron, a material with shape memory. This suspension method is directly derived from the Focal's famous Utopia Beryllium tweeter, making it possible to reduce distortion by a factor of three in the 2-3kHz range, where the human ear has very great sensitivity.
- Optimized Waveguide: Focal further improved the very low directivity of the inverted dome tweeter by developing and incorporating a waveguide. In a horizontal plane, its frequency response has a variance of +/-0.5dB. This performance guarantees an incredibly stable soundstage which makes the listening position much less critical.
6.5" Slatefiber Cone Woofers: The Theva N3-D floorstanding speaker houses two 6.5" Slatefiber cone bass woofers and one 6.5" Slatefiber cone midrange driver. The Slatefiber cone (exclusive to Focal) is a composite cone technology that involves the use of recycled, non-woven carbon fibers applied as a sandwich between two layers of thermoplastic polymer. The combination of these two materials results in excellent acoustic performance, in terms of sound velocity as well as rigidity and damping. The Slatefiber cone is characterized by its dynamic, rich and ultra-balanced sound, particularly in the midrange. In their quest for perfection, Focal engineers have opted to use non-woven carbon fibers, all pointing in the same direction to achieve even greater rigidity, better damping but also lightness.
- Rigidity: The carbon fiber alone provides extraordinary rigidity. What's more, as they are all oriented in the same direction, these fibers further increase the speaker driver's rigidity, and therefore enable more bass to be achieved.
- Damping: The carbon fibers are aligned, but non-woven to ensure better damping. Thermoplastic polymer is also located within the fibers to provide the bond between them and increase damping.
- Lightness: In addition to rigidity and damping criteria, the Slatefiber cone is also lightweight. During the development phase, special attention was paid to the weight of the cone to optimize sensitivity. Hence, a combination of carbon fiber and thermoplastic polymer was chosen due to their lightweight qualities.
Built-In Dolby Atmos Up-Firing Module: In addition to its front-firing 3-way driver design, the Focal N3-D is equipped with a built-in Dolby Atmos up-firing module that consists of a 5" Slatefiber cone woofer with a coaxial-mounted aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter and integrated waveguide for ultra-precise localized overhead effects. This Dolby Atmos module built into the top of the floorstanding speaker fires sound upwards and bounces the sound off the ceiling toward the listening area for overhead effects from Dolby Atmos soundtracks. By integrating these upward-firing driver module into the tops of the speakers, it prevents you from having to install overhead speakers to reproduce Dolby Atmos surround sound.
Note: Dolby Atmos technology offers a 3D (three-dimensional) listening experience by isolating each sound from the original soundtrack and mix, like an independent audio object, for the most detailed sound reproduction with immersive horizontal and vertical surround sound effects. When watching a movie, you'll be immersed in the heart of the action, music and dialog.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Theva N3-D floorstanding speaker employs a bass-reflex enclosure with an aerodynamic rear-firing port for greater efficiency, bigger bass response, and low distortion. The enclosure features rigid MDF construction with an additional front-panel for controlled resonance and impressive neutrality. The tilted plinth (base) on the floorstanding speaker aids in time alignment, so the soundstage can be focused more on the listener for a more immersive listening experience. An acoustic transparent cloth grille magnetically attaches to the front and top of the speaker.
Note: The speaker cabinet is available in a black, dark wood, or light wood finish.
Binding Post Terminals: The Focal Theva Series loudspeaker is outfitted with two sets of binding post terminals; one set for the front-firing drivers and one set for top-firing Dolby Atmos drivers. Make sure your AV receiver's front and Dolby Atmos speaker outputs are connected to the respective terminals. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts inside the binding posts will need to be removed in order to use banana plugs.
Note: The two sets of binding posts terminals are discrete; one set is used for the speaker's front-firing drivers, while the other set is used for the top-firing Dolby Atmos drivers. The two sets of binding post terminals cannot be used to bi-amp or bi-wire the front-firing main drivers.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Theva N3-D floorstanding speaker includes an aluminum base (plinth) that must be installed. You can choose between the supplied spikes or rubber feet that screw into the bottom of the base. The spike feet should only be used on carpeted flooring. The rubber feet are safe for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring.
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 12.0" (w) x 40.75" (h) x 16.25" (d)
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 12.0" (w) x 40.3125" (h) x 16.25" (d)
Note: The Theva N3-D should always be used with the base and either the spike feet or rubber feet installed for maximum stability and optimum sound performance.
Applications & Placement: The Focal Theva Series floorstanding speaker can be utilized as front and/or rear speakers in a home theater system.
- A pair of speakers should form an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. You can "toe-in" (angle) the speakers toward the main listening position to improve stereo imaging and "sweet-spot".
- Generally, the closer the loudspeakers are to the rear wall the more the bass frequencies will be reinforced. Move the speakers away from the back and side walls if bass becomes to "muddy" or "boomy".
Note: Make sure there are no objects above the speaker to obstruct the top-firing Dolby Atmos drivers from bouncing sound off of your room's ceiling.
Focal Theva Series: Made in France in Focal's own workshop, the Theva Series delivers outstanding performance for both two-channel stereo and multichannel home theater applications. In addition to their Hi-Fi sound, the Theva Series boasts a sleek and elegant look that complements almost any room's decor. The Vocal Theva Series line-up consists of three floorstanding speakers (N2/N3/N3-D), one bookshelf speaker (N1), a center-channel speaker (Center), and an on-wall surround speaker (Surround).
Optional Powered Sub: For even bigger bass response, add a Focal powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Theva Series speakers.