About the JL Audio MediaMaster 105
A big new thing in marine audio
A big new thing in marine audio
High-performance componentry, marine-rated construction, and boater-friendly ergonomics make JL Audio's MediaMaster 105 digital media receiver the ideal centerpiece of a stem-to-stern sound system that will be the envy of any marina.
Designed for great sound
The first thing that comes to mind when you think about JL Audio is sound. That's actually the first thing their designers thought about, too. Most receivers have a standard "chip" amplifier, but this one doesn't have a built-in amp at all. Instead, you'll find 12-channel audiophile-quality preamp-level outputs that you'll connect to your marine amplifiers. The result is superb sound on any boat, no matter the size or layout.
Four zones for total control
With four audio zones, the MM105 lets you build the system you want for your boat. A user-friendly interface gives you enhanced volume control in all four fully variable zones. The radio features 4-volt Right, Left, and Subwoofer preamp outputs for each zone, and each Sub output includes a selectable low-pass crossover (60/80/100 Hz). You can set the maximum volume for each zone to prevent damage to your system's speakers.
Thoroughly modern media
You won't find a CD player in the MM105, just lots of ways to get the most out of your digital music collection. In addition to an AM/FM/Weather Band tuner, the MM105 offers a wide range of ways to connect external devices. Here are all the ways you can crank up the tunes:
- Bluetooth® audio streaming with Qualcomm AptX® for superior sound quality and total control of play/pause and track up/down functions;
- USB1 and USB2 ports for your iPhone® or USB storage device; plus 2.1-amp and 500mA charging outputs
- SiriusXM-Ready: connect directly to a SiriusXM tuner (sold separately, subscription required) to enjoy satellite radio programming when you're many miles offshore;
- AUX and AUX2 inputs for connection to a wide range of audio sources
- A NMEA 2000 direct connector makes it easy to integrate your MM100s-BE with the rest of your NMEA 2000-compatible marine electronics (sold separately), making your receiver the hub of your system
- Store up to 24 preferred channels, across different tuners/bands
JL Audio designed the MM105 to excel in the marine environment. Marine-grade components and IPX67-rated weatherproofing ensure long life, but when you look at this receiver, you can tell it was designed by people who also know what it's like to change music sources in choppy water on a dark night.
A keen understanding of real-world ergonomics went into the display, which features an intuitive interface with large text that's easy to read while you're in motion. Big buttons and a generously-proportioned control knob fall easily to hand when you need them. The big, bright, full-color 3-1/2" LCD display offers adjustable day/night lighting modes that will give you the level of brightness that works best for you and your boat. And, of course, the sleek black exterior will look great in your boat.
Add the app
With JL Audio's MediaMaster app, you can use a compatible wireless device to control your device from up to 35 feet away. Advanced Bluetooth Low Energy technology and a clean user interface make it easy to navigate your audio system
If you need more ways to control the sound around your boat, add a JL Audio MMR-40 NMEA 2000® network controller or JL Audio MMR-20 BE remotes (all sold separately).
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
This receiver does not have a built-in amplifier, so you'll need marine amps to power your system.
- marine/powersports digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- 12-channel 4-volt preamp outputs (no built-in amp)
- control four separate audio zones — Right, Left, and Sub for each zone
- subwoofer output with a selectable low-pass crossover
- 3-1/2" full-color LCD display with day/night modes
- AM/FM/Weather Band tuner with RDS
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in Bluetooth® with Qualcomm aptX® codec
- use the MediaMaster app to control the receiver from up to 35 feet away
- SiriusXM-Ready® (tuner, antenna, and subscription sold separately)
- NMEA 2000-compatible
- two USB inputs charge devices while in use
- two rear AUX inputs work with a variety of devices
- outputs: 12-channel 4-volt preamp outputs (no built-in amplifier)
- connect up to three JL Audio MMR-20 remotes or one MMR-40 remote (sold separately)
- weatherproof (IP67-rated) design and construction
- large controls are ideal for marine/powersports applications
- intuitive interface with large text for easy legibility while in motion
- rubber face cover included
- dimensions: 3.91"H x 5.95"W x 2.56"D1 x 3.94"D2
- mounting hole: 3.27"H x 4.72"W
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 99930
What's in the box:
JL Audio MediaMaster 105 owner's manual
- Marine source unit (5A fuse)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Self-adhesive gasket
- Four #8x1" screws
- Rubber face cover
- Cardboard template
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
JL Audio MediaMaster 105 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JL Audio MediaMaster 105
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||0.5A/1A|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memomry|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|iPhone||5 and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Display Color||Full Color|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV|
Marine & Remote Features
Variety of Sources
Marine & Remote Features
Weatherproof Design: JL Audio's MediaMaster 105 (MM105) is designed and engineered for the marine environment, with marine-grade, weatherproof construction (IP67-rated) to withstand the elements. This source unit offers advanced audio features, specifically tailored to marine applications. A rubber face cover is included to put over the front-panel when its not in use for greater protection.
- Building serious marine products require a real commitment to environmental testing and materials specification. To this end, JL Audio has invested in Ultraviolet testing chambers (to simulate years of sun exposure) and Salt Fog chambers (to simulate years of exposure to salt-water environments). This testing is critical to building products that will not only sound great in your boat, but will also sound great for many years to come.
- While the MediaMaster 105 (MM105) is designed to be water-resistant, it should never be submerged under water or subjected to high-pressure water spray. Do not install the remote in areas of extreme heat.
3.5" LCD & Rotary Knob: The JL Audio MM105 features a high-brightness, full-color 3.5" LCD screen (320x240), a rotary control knob, and large push-buttons for ease of use in marine applications. The LCD offers Day/Night lighting modes with user-defined display brightness & themes. You can also adjust the brightness of the backlit rotary knob and push-buttons. The marine source unit's intuitive interface is easy to see and use while in motion on the water.
NMEA 2000 Compliant: The MediaMaster 105 is NMEA 2000 compliant and is compatible with a range of the world's leading Multi-Function Displays (MFD) for on-screen audio control; creating a centralized control station for your boat and a more user-friendly experience. NMEA 2000 is the most popular marine standard for data communication within boats, watercrafts, and vessels. When connecting the MediaMaster 105 with a NMEA 2000 supported Chartplotter or Fish finder, you bring your music to the big screen, allowing you to keep an eye on the charts or the fish while skipping tracks or adjusting the volume at the same time. Connection to a NMEA network requires NMEA 2000 cables & connectors (sold separately).
Note: With certified NMEA 2000 connectivity, the MM105 is an ideal partner to a Garmin, Lowrance, Raymarine or Simrad Multifunction Display (all sold separately).
Mounting Options: The MediaMaster 105 marine source unit requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Four screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A cardboard template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes.
- Chassis Cutout Size: 4.685" (w) x 3.215" (h) x 4.255" (d)
- Faceplate Dimensions: 4.975 (w) x 3.775" (h) x 1.4375" (d)
- Trim-ring Dimensions: 5.955" (w) x 3.905" h) x 0.785" (d)
- Screw Hole Spacing: 5.305" (w) x 1.965" (h) x 1.0" (d)
Note: The MM105 requires a custom cutout and does not fit in a standard Gauge-Style, Single-DIN, or Double-DIN opening.
Wiring Harness: The included wiring harness features four leads +12VDC (Red), Ground (Black), Illumination (Orange), and Amp Turn-On (Blue).
Low Voltage Alert: A built-in alert notifies you when the +12VDC supply voltage drops below 10 volts. If triggered, the unit will enter "Safe Mode" and mute audio output. A warning will also display on-screen with instructions to turn the unit off until normal operating voltage is restored.
Optional Remote Control: Wired and NMEA 2000 remote control options are available for the MediaMaster 105.
- Wired Remote: Connect an optional MMR-20-BE Wired Remote (13699921, sold separately) to add remote control functionality from extended locations (up to 3). You will also need a remote control extension cable (13699905, sold separately). If you are connecting more than one wired remote, you will need a 2-way splitter (13699908, sold separately).
- NMEA2000 Remote: The MMR-40 (13699910, sold separately) is a NMEA 2000 network remote controller designed to add full-function, auxiliary control to the MM105 source unit. The MMR-40 can be connected to a MediaMaster source unit through an established NMEA 2000 network (NMEA 200 cables and connectors sold separately), or a "closed" network using JL Audio's Powered Network Cable (13699928, sold separately). It will automatically recognize the connected host MM105 source unit. All host source unit controls and screen info are then mirrored onto the MMR-40's full-color, 2.8" LCD screen.
MediaMaster Remote App: The MediaMaster Remote app (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) is designed to deliver comprehensive controls in the palm of your hand from your compatible smartphone device. This app permits untethered control of the MediaMaster 105 marine source unit using your compatible mobile device, from up to 35' away via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Control functions include -
- Power on/off
- Source selection
- Access to stored presets
- Audio source navigation
- All volume level controls (master & individual zone)
- All subwoofer level controls (master & individual zone)
- All tone & balance controls (master & individual zone)
- Source specific settings
Note: The MediaMaster Remote App requires the latest software update (1.0.1325 or higher) for the JL Audio MediaMaster 105.
Variety of Sources
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The JL Audio MediaMaster 105 marine source unit offers built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.4). You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet to the JL Audio MediaMaster 105, plus control basic playback functions like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the unit's front-panel. The marine source unit will also display song/artist information (no album art). The unit has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 35' (11m).
- aptX Codec: In addition to the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the MediaMaster 105 supports Qualcomm's advanced aptX codec which delivers higher-quality audio fidelity from compatible Bluetooth streaming devices (like many Android smartphones). Apple iOS devices do not support aptX.
- Multi-Device Pairing: You can pair up to 8 Bluetooth devices with the MediaMaster 105, but only one streaming device can be connected and used for playback at a time.
Note: The MM105 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication (HFP) for making and answering phone calls.
Dual USB Ports: The JL Audio MediaMaster 105 marine source unit is equipped with two rear-panel USB-A 2.0 ports for connection of a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive. The marine source unit will support playback of MP3, AAC, WMA, and WAV music files stored on a USB MSC device. From the unit's front-panel, you can control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The MM105 will also display song/artist information with album art. Both USB ports support charging; the USB 1 port is rated at 5V/1A, while the USB 2 port is rated at 5V/500mA.
Note: The USB ports do not support USB hubs, card-readers, or Android OS devices.
iPhone Direct Connection: The MM105's USB 1 port can also be used to connect your Apple iPhone with Lightning connector (iPhone 5 and newer), using the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your iPhone or an Apple Certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately). The JL Audio MM105 supports audio playback from stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPhone device. From the unit's front-panel you'll be able to browse categories (Playlist/Artist/Song/Album/Genre/Composer), control playback (Play/Pause/Repeat/Shuffle), and view song/artist/album information (including album art). The USB 1 port (5V/1A) will also charge your Apple iPhone while connected.
- Compatible iPhones include the iPhone 5/5S, SE, 6/6+, 6S/6S+, 7/7+, 8/8+, X/XR, XS/XSMax, 11/11Pro/11ProMax, 12/12Mini/12Pro/12ProMax, 13/13Mini/13Pro/13ProMax, and 14/14Plus/14Pro/14ProMax.
- Not compatible with older iPhones with 30-pin connector
- Not compatible with iPod devices such as the touch, nano, classic, or other older iPod models.
- The USB 2 port does not support direct iPhone connection.
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner also allows analog AM/FM tuning as well. You can store a total of 24 AM/FM radio station presets.
Note: A marine radio antenna is required (sold separately).
SiriusXM-Ready: Connect to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit (220SXV300, sold separately) to listen to commercial-free music, premier sports talk and live events, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, and up-to-the-minute traffic and weather. SiriusXM Subscription is required (check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here).
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Station/channel name (including logo) and song/artist/album information (including album art) can be viewed on the unit's LCD
- SiriusXM presets are stored within the marine source unit's 24 preset allotment, along with AM/FM stations presets.
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Dual Aux Inputs: The JL Audio MediaMaster 105 is outfitted with two stereo analog RCA inputs for connection of up to two external analog audio sources. The unit's Auxiliary Input sensitivity can be set to 2Vrms or 1Vrms.
12Ch/4V Pre-Outs: The JL Audio MM105 is equipped with audiophile-quality, preamp-level audio circuits, deployed in a 12-channel architecture with 4-volt RMS outputs. The MM105 is equipped with a total of 12 low-voltage, line-level RCA outputs (4V) to send audio signals to your external marine amplifiers. The 12ch/4Vl RCA outputs are divided into 4 zones with each zone consists of a set of stereo RCA outputs and a mono-RCA subwoofer output.
Note: This marine source unit does not feature a built-in amplifier. You will need to connect external amplifier(s) to this unit's pre-outs to power your marine speakers.
Multi-Zone Configuration: The JL Audio MediaMaster 105 offers excellent system control flexibility in a wide range of marine audio system configurations. The MediaMaster 105 features 4 separate audio zones with independently customizable features and control options - including Volume Control, Tone Control, Volume Limit, and Rename Zone. All zones feature a zero-clipping audio circuit design, with self-limiting tone controls to prevent speaker system damage.
Note: The same source is played back in each Zone (1-2-3-4).
Volume Limit: Volume Limit allows you to set a custom, maximum allowable volume level for each zone (1-2-3-4). The head unit's overall volume range is -62 to 0.
Level Control Modes: You select how you want each zone to respond to volume commands. Control all zones or individual zones at any time. A fixed output mode is also available.
- Relative: Links the volume levels of Zones 2, 3 and/or 4 with the level of Zone 1. Linked zones will proportionally track (follow) Zone 1's volume. The relative levels for each zone are independently adjustable, on-the-fly.
- Absolute: Creates a fully independent level control for a selected zone, with its own separate volume level slider.
- Fixed: Sets the output level of selected zones at a specific, fixed output level (4V, 2V or 1V RMS) that is not affected by the Volume control.
- Off: Disables the output of a selected zone.
Low Pass Crossover: Each of the MM105's mono-RCA subwoofer outputs feature their own variable low pass crossover that can be set to 60, 80, or 100Hz. The low pass crossover can also be turned off for a full-range audio signal.
Tone Controls: You can set independent Bass, Midrange, Treble, and Balance controls for each Zone (1-2-3-4). Or, you can link the same tone controls from Zone 1 to Zone 2-3-4.
Rename Zone: You can create your own names for each zone (1-2-3-4).
The JL Audio MediaMaster 105 replaces these items
- 3-1/2" full-color LCD display with day/night modes
- built-in Bluetooth® with aptX® codec
- SiriusXM-Ready® (tuner, antenna, and subscription sold separately)
3 questions already asked