About the Garmin Tread® XL Overland Edition
Nature looks like a movie — why not your navigator?
Nature looks like a movie — why not your navigator?
Your exciting adventures deserve the biggest possible screen for taking it all in, and Garmin's Tread XL Overland Edition fits the bill nicely. You get waterproof and dust-proof construction, plus a gorgeous 10.1" high-definition display for viewing your maps and other info. It works great with ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, and other off-road vehicles, but it'll also help you find your way in your car, truck, RV, or motorcycle. Outdoor enthusiasts won't have to worry about falling out of touch with friends or emergency contacts, thanks to built-in Garmin inReach® satellite communication capability (subscription required), along with other modes of staying in touch. When it's time to play, you might as well go big.
Ready for the elements
No matter the weather forecast, you can ride with Tread XL Overland Edition confidently, as its IP67 waterproof rating makes it virtually impervious to moisture and dust particles. Garmin designed this navigator to take on tough rides with aplomb, so don't be afraid of bumps along the way. It also features a long-lasting rechargeable battery with a hard-wire option. The included mounting gear works with select RAM mounts for your trailblazing adventures.
A big screen for your big adventures
The Tread's generous 10.1" touch display gives you an easy-on-the-eyes view and so much more. It features Garmin's brightest backlight yet, so you're sure to see the maps in the harshest of sunlight. It's also truly high definition, with a resolution of 800 pixels, for a crisp and clear view of maps, information, and more. The screen works in landscape or portrait mode, so you can change up your view depending on your mood. Multi-touch control lets you zoom the maps in or out with your fingers for a better view, and it's glove-friendly for motorcycle enthusiasts. This Garmin's also compatible with the Garmin BC 50 wireless rear-view camera (not included), so you can see more of where you're going, whether it's behind, to the side, or in front of you.
Navigation features to get you where you want to go
The Tread XL Overland Edition features topographic off-road maps of North and Central America, plus detailed street maps of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and more, with millions of points of interest. You can explore with confidence, thanks to public land boundary maps for natural forests, Bureau of Land Management property, wilderness areas, and more. Plus you can see private land boundaries and landowner information for parcels four acres and larger. It also offers US Forest Service maps of roads and trails, including motor vehicle use info that'll indicate which ones are suitable for your side-by-side, full-size 4x4, ATV, side-by-side, or motorcycle.
Tread's other navigation features include:
- Access via the BirdsEye Direct Download app to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery around the world, so you can get detailed satellite images directly on the device by downloading over Wi-Fi®, without any annual subscription. Quickly toggle between on-road maps, topographic maps, and BirdsEye images, so you can always have the ideal map.
- Points of interest from iOverlander, Tripadvisor®, and Ultimate Public Campgrounds, so you're sure to find nearby trails or campsites, including wild and dispersed locations. You can rely on Tread to lead the way even when you can't pick up cell service out in the sticks.
- Upload your favorite stops and create custom routes for your favorite adventures. Easy Route Shaping lets you add a point on the map to adjust your route, so you can ride through preferred areas or follow specific roads.
- Adventurous Routing for motorcyclists guides you through routes that let you really hug the terrain. Simply adjust your preferences for hills and curves, and Tread will take care of the rest. It'll even help you avoid major highways if you prefer to take the scenic route whenever possible. It also lets you record your bike's service history, and it has points of interest for cycle repair shops and dealers.
- Tread can start recording your ride as soon as you start your journey, allowing you to retrace your travels back to their starting point. The track recorder also shows you key data for time and distance covered, including elevation.
- RV owners can enjoy specialized routing for the size and weight of their vehicle, keeping them away from low overpasses or especially treacherous roads. It also includes an RV Parks and Services directory, so you can find nearby accommodations. Road elevation and speed limit change indicators help you navigate through unknown territory safely.
- Tread's pitch and roll gauges can keep track of your vehicle's vertical and horizontal positions so you'll be able to tackle the next ridge with confidence.
- Garmin's lane assist with junction view keeps you on the right course, with 3D images of buildings and terrain to help you get your bearings. And the Tread XL Overland Edition will let you know what accommodations and services are right by the nearest exit up ahead.
- TracBack routing takes you back to your starting point along the same route you traveled, so you can revisit your favorite spots.
Stay connected and more
Tread XL Overland Edition is equipped with a number of ways to stay in touch with the outside world and the other members of your party, plus cool wireless connectivity options:
- Built-in inReach communication technology allows text communication with the rest of your crew is easy as long as you're all using compatible Garmin handhelds, wearables, or other mobile devices. Plus you also get LiveTrack location sharing so people can follow your position remotely. inReach weather forecasts can keep your device up-to-date on changing conditions nearby. You can even send out an interactive SOS message to Garmin's 24/7-monitored network if you're unable to make it back to camp. A subscription is required to access the Iridium global satellite network.
- The Tread XL Overland Edition works with Garmin's optional Group Ride Radio accessory (sold separately) so you can easily keep up with your riding buddies. Simply plug the radio's short VHF antenna into the Tread and use the push-to-talk fist mic to talk with up to 19 of your friends without worrying about cell coverage. It even provides group tracking and canned text messaging for other riders with a Tread. You get between 0.5 and 2 miles of coverage, depending on the terrain. If you want to go hands-free, pair the Tread with your Bluetooth headset or helmet.
- Garmin's Tread app keeps up with your busy lifestyle, including delivering smartphone notifications for incoming calls and texts on your navigator's screen, along with other important alerts. It'll also let you access live weather forecasts, reports on nearby traffic, and other helpful travel info. It also syncs your waypoints, tracks, routes, and collections across devices. You can import and export geocaching GPX files, saving paper and giving you more time to search.
- Bluetooth wireless technology connects with your Bluetooth-enabled headset or helmet so you can hear the navigator's spoken directions over road noise. And if your helmet or headset's paired with a compatible phone, you can use the Tread to place and receive calls without touching your phone. You'll be able to call up destinations like hotels or restaurants from the road to make reservations without stopping. You can pair your smartphone with the Tread XL Overland Edition to control your digital tunes and hear them through your Bluetooth helmet or headset — you'll be able to see some "what's playing" info on Tread's screen.
- Built-in Wi-Fi compatibility lets you update Tread's maps and software without an inconvenient wired connection to your computer. You can prepare for your next trip by uploading trails when connected to your home network, and then take advantage of your own portable Wi-Fi hotspot to get online when out in the wild.
- The Tread XL Overland Edition can also pair wirelessly with select Garmin GPS dog tracking systems (sold separately). You can track and retrieve your sporting dogs in the field, with markers for each dog within tracking range overlaid right on the Tread navigation app. You can follow and locate each dog with ease by using directional cues.
- The built-in Garmin Explore app lets you map, sync, and share your adventures. And the app's your lifeline to the Iridium global satellite network, so when you trigger an SOS the GEOS 24/7 emergency response team will track your device and contact the nearest emergency responders. Note: The Tread XL Overland Edition is not compatible with the Garmin Explore smartphone app.
Add simple command of your accessories
Got some sweet 12-volt add-ons for your vehicle? Garmin's optional PowerSwitch digital switch box offers convenient command of your accessories through one stowaway box that can be controlled through the Tread XL Overland Edition or your smartphone. You can wire up to six different accessory outputs (including light bars, horns, air compressors, differential locks, and more — up to 100 amps total output) to one rugged PowerSwitch box, then get wireless control of them all using the Tread or Garmin's free PowerSwitch app for your smartphone or tablet.
- portable GPS navigator for powersports vehicles
- 10.1" color (1280 x 800 pixels) capacitive dual-orientation display with multi-touch control
- 64GB internal memory for additional maps
- suction-cup windshield mount
- locking magnet-assisted mount with power cable and hardware (compatible with select RAM mounts)
- USB cable and rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of life (3.5 hours at 100% backlight)
- Bluetooth for receiving directions through compatible helmet or headset; hands-free calling through phone paired with helmet or headset
- built-in music player with ability to control audio from your Bluetooth phone or device
- preloaded with topographic basemaps and road maps for North America
- private landowner maps, USFS Roads and Trails maps, and Motor Vehicle Use Maps for full-size 4x4, ATV, Side by Side and motorcycle
- millions of points of interest, including some from Tripadvisor with ratings
- outdoor/off-road points of interest from iOverlander and Ultimate Public Campgrounds (allows custom points of interest)
- preloaded with street maps for the United States, Canada, and Mexico, plus U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and Cayman Islands
- motorcycle-specific routing and points of interest: Adventurous Routing (hilly and curvy roads), motorcycle service shops and dealers, service history log
- RV-specific routing and points of interest: custom routing based on vehicle size and weight, RV Parks and Services directory, elevation and speed limit change indicators
- works with BirdsEye Direct Download for satellite maps downloaded over Wi-Fi (no subscription necessary)
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce road names at turns
- route recording and backtrack
- pitch and roll gauges
- barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass
- TracBack lets you retrace your steps without marking any waypoints
- compatible with Bluetooth helmets and headsets
- media player allows control of Bluetooth streaming audio from paired phones to compatible helmets and headsets
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless map and software updates
- compatible with Garmin Tread app:
- access to Garmin Live Services including fuel prices, traffic reports, and weather reports
- onscreen notifications of incoming calls, texts, calendar reminders, and app updates
- built-in Garmin Explore information (not compatible with Explore smartphone app):
- provides off-grid navigation
- sync tracks, routes, and waypoints across your devices wirelessly
- download additional maps including U.S. satellite imagery, public lands, and USGS quad sheets
- inReach satellite communication technology (subscription required)
- text with other inReach users regardless of cell coverage
- location sharing allows others to track your movements in real time
- send interactive SOS messages to Garmin's full-time monitored network
- inReach weather reports for your location, destinations, or waypoints along your route
- compatible with Bluetooth helmets and headsets
- media player allows control of Bluetooth streaming audio from paired phones to compatible helmets and headsets
- microSD card slot (handles up to 256 GB)
- compatible with optional Garmin wireless camera
- compatible with optional Garmin Group Ride Radio kit for push-to-talk communication with up to 19 other riders within 1-2 miles
- compatible with optional Garmin PowerSwitch digital switch box for 12-volt accessories
Other Features and Specs:
- certified IP67 waterproof and dustproof housing (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
- battery life:
- up to 6 hours at 50% backlight
- up to 1 hour at 100% backlight
- dimensions: 9.89"W x 7.82"H x 1.20"D
- weight: 32.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- MFR # 010-02509-00
What's in the box:
- Off-road GPS navigator with 10.1" touchscreen display
- Windshield mount with 4-1/8" diameter suction cup
- Magnetic mount with 1-1/2" ball and 3" power pigtail (female 2-pin connector)
- Vehicle power adapter (DC output: 10-12V 3A) with attached 76" power cord and male 2-pin connector
- 19" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
Customer reviews for Garmin Tread® XL Overland Edition
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Tread® XL Overland Edition
Features & specs
|Maps||Free lifetime updates|
|Map Coverage||US, Can, Mex, PR, USVI|
|Points of Interest||POI, Waypoints, Tracks|
|Multiple Destination Routing||Yes|
|Text To Speech||Yes|
|Traffic Information||North America|
|Dynamic Content Services||Garmin Tread app|
|Removable Memory Type||microSD|
|Battery Life||6 Hours|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Garmin Tread® XL - Overland Edition (010-02509-00) is an all-terrain portable GPS navigation device for off-road use in your ATV, side-by-side, or other powersport vehicle. Tread XL includes a powered mount that can be securely attached to a roll bar or handlebar. Tread XL has a 10.1" (diagonal) touchscreen display that can be oriented horizontally (landscape) or vertically (portrait). The device is waterproof and dustproof, and preloaded with topographic and street maps. You can also pair the device with a compatible Garmin dog tracking system to help track and retrieve your sporting dogs in the field. Its dimensions are 9.893" (W) x 7.818" (H) x 1.195" (D), and the unit weighs 32.8 ounces.
10.1" Touchscreen Display: Tread XL's 10.1" HD glass display has a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels with white backlight. It features multi-touch response, allowing you to zoom in and out with "pinch" and "spread" two-finger actions. The display is easily viewed in bright sunlight as well as pitch dark.
Rugged Build: The all-terrain navigation device is built to withstand the elements and rough off-road terrain. It has an IPX7 weather-resistance rating, including direct rain or snow, and even incidental submersion in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes. It also has an IP6X rating for dust-resistance, so dirt roads aren't a problem. The device is ruggedly built, and has a drop rating of MIL-STD-810.
Preloaded Maps: Tread XL is equipped with a 64 GB internal flash memory preloaded with plenty of maps to show you where you are and where you're going. The device includes topography maps for point-to-point navigation, and street maps for turn-by-turn navigation. Also included are government maps of US Public lands and US Forest Service Roads and Trails, with Motor Vehicle Use information for motorcycles, ATVs, Side-by-Sides, and full-size 4x4s. Boundary lines are drawn for privately-owned land and parcels larger than 4 acres, including information on the landowner. Additional maps can be downloaded onto an optional microSD card (up to 256 GB) inserted in the back of the device. Periodic map updates are available at no charge for your device from Garmin.
BirdsEye Satellite Imagery: High-resolution map images can be downloaded directly to the device from BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. Detailed satellite images and raster-based topographical maps can be obtained without the required annual subscription. The satellite images provide true representation of your surroundings using high-res color imagery. The TOPO Raster maps are high-quality USGS and NRC raster maps with a real-life view of the terrain, as well as points of interest. To obtain BirdsEye Satellite Imagery on Tread XL, you must be connected to a wireless network (Wi-Fi).
Off-Road Navigation: Tread XL can navigate you from point-to-point where there aren't always roads to get you there. You can create and save a route from your current location to one or more destinations. Off-road routes are shown as a straight line, with multiple waypoints along the way. As you travel, Tread XL records your path, along with time, location, and elevation data, which can be saved as a "track." Tracks can be saved to your device when it is paired with a Garmin Explore account. When you return to the location in the future, you can follow your recorded track using the Explore app. The TracBack feature records the most recent segment of your movement, allowing you to retrace your recent track to get back to a specific previous location.
On-Road Navigation: Tread XL can be used like other traditional Garmin GPS navigators when you're navigating on the highways. It features spoken turn-by-turn directions, millions of points of interest by categories (i.e. restaurants, gas stations, rest stops, and hotels), and a trip planner. Sources for points of interest include Ultimate Campgrounds and iOverlander, which provides information and directions for public campgrounds nearby, Trip Advisor, Powersport, and History Channel. There are also driver warnings for upcoming hazards, such as sharp turns or steep grades, as well as red light and speed camera warnings where available. If you are seeking a more enjoyable ride, Tread XL can calculate a more adventurous route that favors more curves and hills, and fewer highways.
Pitch and Roll: The device can display the angle of your vehicle based on calibrated measurements. When your vehicle is traveling over difficult terrain, the pitch and roll angle measurements can provide warnings that your vehicle may become unstable. You can set the pitch and roll warning angles in the menu. Before using the Pitch and Roll function, the device must first be calibrated on a flat, level surface, setting the readings to zero. For the Pitch and Roll warnings to be effective, you must not adjust or relocate the device after calibration.
GPS: The Tread XL device utilizes the US-based Global Positioning System (GPS) and the European Galileo constellation of navigation satellites to pinpoint your exact location, and to help you navigate the trails, backroads, and highways of North America. The device updates your location 10 times per second (10 Hz Multi-GNSS positioning) so your position on the map will always be accurate.
ABC Sensors: Tread XL is equipped with internal altimeter, barometer, and compass sensors, each with automatic calibration. When the device is connected to the powered mount, it uses GPS data to determine the compass heading. When removed from the mount, the device uses its built-in compass.
Dog Tracking: Tread XL has the capability to wirelessly pair with select Garmin GPS dog tracking systems. This will allow you to track and retrieve your sporting dogs in the field. Markers for each dog are overlaid on the Tread XL's navigation map, with directional cues to help you follow and locate each dog you're tracking. The update can be obtained through Garmin Express desktop software or a wireless update of the Tread XL device when you connect it to an active Wi-Fi network. This feature works with the following Garmin dog systems: Alpha 100, Alpha 200i, Astro 320, Astro 430, Astro 900, and PRO 500 Plus.
Optional Backup Camera: Tread XL can display the video feed from one or more Garmin BC 50 wireless backup cameras. For best results, you should first align the guidance lines so that they reflect the outside edges of the vehicle.
inReach Compatible: With an active subscription, you can send and receive text messages using the Iridium Satellite Network. Messages can be sent to an SMS phone number, an email address, or another device that uses inReach technology. The tracking feature on the Tread XL device can be used to record and transmit track points over the Iridium satellite network.
SOS: In an emergency, you can use your Tread XL device to contact the Garmin International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) to request help. The unit's dedicated SOS button is located on the left side under a red cover. Pressing the button sends a message to the IERCC, which notifies the appropriate emergency responders about your situation. Your location is sent to the emergency response center every minute for 10 minutes, and every 10 minutes thereafter if moving (every 30 minutes if stationary). While you wait for help to arrive, you can communicate with the Garmin IERCC. The SOS feature should only be used during an actual emergency.
Live Smartphone Services: When Tread XL is paired to your smartphone, you can use the Garmin Tread app to receive smart notifications, live weather information, and live traffic data. Notifications and messages on your phone appear on Tread XL's display. Real-time weather forecasts, road conditions, and weather radar are available for your current location, as well as other cities. The app sends live traffic data to the device, including traffic incidents, delays, construction zones, and road closings. Live services require the Garmin Tread app on your smartphone. The app is compatible with Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch running iOS 14.0 or later, and with Android devices running version 6.0 and up.
Hands-free Calling: The Bluetooth connection from your phone allows you to place and receive phone calls hands-free while using your connected Bluetooth headset.
Digital Music Player: Tread XL's built-in media player lets you control the music on a media app on your paired smartphone. The display shows the song title, artist, album, station, or channel currently playing, as well as the progress through the current track. Basic playback controls let you pause/play, skip forward, and skip backward. The Music Player tool can be displayed from your map, if desired.
Garmin PowerSwitch: The optional Garmin PowerSwitch adds wireless control for your vehicle's connected 12-volt accessories. You can connect your vehicle's light bars, air compressor, horn, fans, and other devices to the PowerSwitch, and control them from Tread XL's display on the PowerSwitch app. PowerSwitch has a total of six circuits, rated up to 30 amps each, or a total of 100 amps. Not only can your turn the connected devices on or off, you can create routines to turn switches on or off when certain conditions are met, such as time of day or when your vehicle reaches a certain speed. Up to four Garmin PowerSwitches can be accessed from a single display.
Power Requirements: Tread XL is powered by its built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges via the included vehicle power cable which plugs into your vehicle's 12V power outlet. The power cable plugs into the powered magnetic mount, so you can keep the battery charged during use. When fully charged, the device can operate for up to 6 hours at 50% backlight or up to 1 hour at 100% backlight. Tread XL can be powered or charged via USB using the included USB-C cable.
Installation: Tread XL comes with a secure, locking magnet-assisted windshield mount with a 4-1/8" diameter suction cup. The mount includes dual 1-1/2" ball joints (C size) with an AMPS base plate. The dual ball socket arm gives you flexibility to adjust the device for best visibility. Tread XL securely fits into the magnetic mount and connects to the power cord contacts. This allows you to simply detach the navigation device when not in use without removing the mount.