About the Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Home theater fans in search of the finest picture quality available are choosing Sony's SXRD Silicon X-tal (Crystal) Reflective Display projection technology. And videophiles who demand the ultimate in performance are lining up for Sony's flagship SXRD models. The latest Grand Wega XBRs are bigger, brighter and better than ever.
The KDS-R60XBR2 uses three SXRD image chips with "Full HD 1080" resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels. There are other types of 1080p displays, but SXRD boasts the highest "pixel density" of any TV available, as well as the tightest between-pixel spacing. The distance from the middle of one pixel to the middle of the next is only about 1/8 the width of a human hair! SXRD images possess jaw-dropping clarity, detail, texture and depth, but the most striking quality is a silky smoothness that creates a more filmlike look.
The KDS-R60XBR2's superb picture detail is matched by its outstanding color purity. Three SXRD image panels one each for the red, green, and blue primary colors ensure rich, radiant, rock-steady color. High-quality sources like HDTV programs and DVD movies look stunning on this set. And even lower-quality video will look better thanks to the newest and most powerful version of Sony's DRC (Digital Reality Creation®) video processing. It works on more types of video signals than previous versions, upconverting them to 1080p. Native 1080p signals (like those from Sony's Blu-ray Disc player) are displayed directly, without any processing.
Sony's Advanced Iris system gives you two ways to optimize picture brightness, contrast, and black level. You can adjust overall brightness to compensate for your room's lighting conditions, or let the "dynamic iris" automatically raise or lower light output based on the content of each scene. A circuit continuously samples the brightness level of the video signal, then opens or closes the iris opening with split-second precision to preserve the natural balance of every scene. At 60 inches, the KDS-R60XBR2's screen is large, but you'll enjoy a bright, crisp picture even viewing during the day or with room lights on. The high-powered lamp is 50% brighter than the lamp in the "A2000" SXRD TVs.
There are built-in HD tuners for both over-the-air broadcasts and cable TV. A versatile set of audio/video inputs will keep the KDS-R60XBR2 plugged in now and in the future. Along with two HD-compatible component video inputs, you'll find three 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs (perfect for connecting a Blu-ray high-def player). A handy PC input lets you connect your computer and work, play, or surf the web on a big, bright screen.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
FREE "white glove" in-home delivery: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- 60" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in digital cable TV tuner receives programs without a set-top box (cable service required; CableCARD required to view scrambled programs)
- 1080p 3-SXRD light engine (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- 2.5-millisecond pixel response time
- 130°(H) x 60°(V) viewing angle
- adjustable/dynamic Advanced Iris for improved contrast and black level
- 10,000:1 contrast ratio
- Wega Engine HD digital video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction v2.5 (upconverts video signals to 1080p)
- high-power 180W lamp (spare lamp included)
- TV Guide On Screen® program guide
- Twin-View® 2-tuner Picture-in-Picture (split-screen)
- built-in stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 8 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080i)
- 3 HDMI digital audio/video inputs 2 rear, 1 front (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs (1 Antenna, 1 Cable)
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- power consumption: 285 watts
- Energy Star® compliant
- 65-7/8"W x 39-7/8"H x 20-1/8"D (pedestal is 43-1/2"W x 19-5/8"D)
- weight: 121 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor (2 years parts on the projection optical block) in-home service
- Contact your local cable provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services
- MFR # KDSR60XBR2
What's in the box:
- 60" SXRD High-Definition 1080p rear-projection TV
- RM-YD009 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Spare XL-X5300 lamp
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration card
- "Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used in this Television" sheet
- How to replace lamp instructions
- How to dispose of lamp instructions
Customer reviews for Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Features & specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Picture In Picture||Yes|
|Audio Output Power||15 watts x 2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Yr/2 Yrs Optical Block|
|Labor Warranty||1 Yr/2 Yrs Optical Block|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||43-1/2|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||19-5/8|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
SXRD Technology: SXRD is a refined version of LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) display technology. SXRD employs three Silicon X-tal Reflective Display panels, which aid in the response time of image changes and movement. SXRD delivers high-level resolution, greater contrast ratio, faster response speed and film-like reproduction compared to other conventional devices.
HDTV: The KDS-R60XBR2 has a built-in ATSC tuner that will receive over-the-air and cable High Definition signals without the need for a separate DTV set-top box. With its HD-compatible component video and HDMI inputs, the TV can also display programs in High Definition from high-end DVD players and set-top boxes. In addition, the TV also includes an NTSC tuner for analog broadcasts, and a QAM digital cable tuner with CableCARD.
CableCARD: CableCARD provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels without the need for a separate set-top box. With CableCARD, you can receive both standard definition and high definition programming. The CableCARD, provided by the cable TV company, inserts into the TV's rear panel CableCARD slot.
Native Resolution: The KDS-R60XBR2 has three high-definition SXRD image panels, each with 1920 x 1080 pixels. Each panel has 2 million pixels, so there is no loss of detail. SXRD preserves every pixel of the source, and brings the full 1080 lines to the screen without interlacing, displaying the signal at 1080p. The resulting picture has incredible clarity and a smooth, filmlike quality.
Optical Engine: The Sony optical engine provides a high-resolution picture from corner to corner across the entire screen. It also renders an image with high-brightness utilizing a 180W UHP (Ultra High Pressure) Lamp (Model XL-5300) that you can easily replace.
WEGA Engine HD System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System delivers superb picture quality from any video source by minimizing the signal deterioration caused by digital to analog conversion and stabilizing the signal processing. The fully digital signal-processor features 3 key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Composite Component Processor (CCP-XA): The first step in the digital processing system is the Composite Component Processor (CCP-XA), which enhances the input signal-to-noise ratio by chroma decoder digital processing.
- DRC (Digital Reality Creation)-MF V2.5: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
- IFP2 (Image Format Processor): The Digital Texture Enhancer function of this chip provides the optimal contrast by utilizing a wide dynamic range. This chip also reduces signal noise while maintaining image sharpness.
CineMotion: Using the reverse 3-2 pull down technology, the CineMotion feature provides smoother picture movement when playing back movies or other video sources on film
Advanced Iris: This advanced iris shutter opens and closes automatically according to the incoming signal level. This results in brighter whites and better overall contrast in dark scenes. You select between two automatic setting or five preset settings.
- Auto: automatically detect
the brightness of the screen
- Auto 1: recommended for viewing programs that have larger variation in brightness from scene to scene
- Auto 2: recommended option for viewing programs that have less variation in brightness from scene to scene
- Max: maximum brightness level
- High: high level of brightness, suitable for TV viewing in a brightly lit room
- Medium: standard level
- Low: screen is dimmed but contrast is to the maximum, suitable for TV viewing in a room with low lighting
- Min: minimum brightness level
Picture Mode: You can select between the following preset picture settings.
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: standard picture setting
- Custom: adjust color, hue, brightness, contrast, and sharpness to your own preference level
Color Temperature: You can select between four Color Temperature settings.
- Cool: gives the white colors a bluish tint
- Neutral: give the white colors a neutral tint
- Warm 1 and Warm 2: give the white colors a reddish tint
DRC Modes: You can choose from the following DRC advanced video options to create a high-resolution picture with 4x density for high quality sources:
- Mode 1: recommended mode
- Mode 2: only available when the input signal format is 1080i.
- DRC Palette: allows you to customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) for input sources
- Off: DRC mode is off
Noise Reduction: Select this feature to reduce noise level of connected equipment and the VHF/UHF or cable inputs. You can choose between Auto, High, Medium, Low or Off.
Advanced Video Settings: The following are advanced video settings the TV offers.
- Live Color: makes the colors more vivid
- Edge Enhancer: enhances the outline of the picture
- Clear White: emphasizes the white colors
- Detail Enhancer: sharpens picture definition
- Black Corrector: enhances the black colors and gives the picture strong contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture
- White Balance: allows you to adjust the color temperature color by color
MENU: The MENU screen gives you access to the following options:
- Favorites: lets you store and view up to 16 of your favorite programs
- Cable: takes you to the most recently viewed channel on the cable input
- Antenna: takes you to the most recently viewed channel on the antenna input
- External Inputs: lets you select equipment that is connected to your TV
- Settings: lets you adjust the Video, Audio, Screen, Channel, Parental Control, Setup, and Applications menus
- TV Guide: allows you to select the TV Guide on Screen System
TV Guide On Screen System: The TV features the TV Guide On screen system that provide and 8 day rolling list of TV programming. You can use the Guide to help you find shows you want to watch. This Guide allows you to search for listings by a variety of programs categories, title, actor, direct and key words as well as set reminders for programs you want to watch. The TV Guide provides the following main services:
- Listings: shows the available program listings for the next eight days including today and provides a description of each program selected
- Search: allows you to find shows by keywords or by the following categories - alphabetically, HDTV, movies, sports, children, educational, new, variety, series
- Schedule: allows you to review, edit, or delete program reminders that you set previously
- Setup: allows you to make changes in the system settings, channel display and default options after initial Guide setup is completed.
Twin View: Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources simultaneously.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the picture and stretches the left and right edges to fill the screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode with side bars to fill the screen
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the screen
Power Saving: You can view the picture with reduced power consumption by selecting the Power Saving mode. The picture becomes darker, but the black level is enhanced. To view the picture without the benefit of Power Saving, you can select "Standard" mode.
S-master Full Digital Amplifier: The built-in S-master Full Digital Amplifier delivers superb clear dialog and reproduces the original sound quality while minimizing any sound fragmentation or jitter noise. The amplifier delivers 15 watts per channel to the left and right speakers.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
TruSurround XT: This feature provides a simulated surround sound from the two TV's speaker when viewing a 2-channel program.
Sound Mode: You select between the following sound modes.
- Dynamic: enhances bass and treble
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Custom: flat setting that allows you to adjust the bass and treble independently to your own personal preference
A/V Sync: This function makes adjustments to audio and video synchronization when you have external equipment connected to the Digital Out of the TV.
Parental Control: The Parental Lock settings include the following options:
- Off: no programs are blocked
- Child: TV-Y, TV-G, G are the maximum ratings permitted
- Youth: TV-PG, PG are the maximum rating permitted
- Young Adult: TV-14, PG-13 are the maximum ratings permitted
- Custom: allows you manually set ratings for movies and TV broadcasts based on chart listed in the TV manual
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel to automatically turn the TV on or off.
Optional TV Stand: The TV can be mounted on the optional Sony SU-RS51U stand (item # 158SURS51U).
PC Compatible: The PC input (D-Sub 15) offers easy connection to your PC, allowing you to use your high resolution Grand WEGA XBR TV as a computer monitor.
Display Mode: The Display Mode allows you to choose between Video (for video images) or Text (for text, charts or tables).
Advance Iris: This feature allows you to obtain the best brightness and contrast suited for your TV viewing. You can select between Auto 1/2, Max, High, Medium, Low, or Min.
Color Temperature: You can adjust the color temperature of the TV in PC mode between Cool, Neutral, Warm 1 or Warm 2.
Sound: You can adjust the sound setting in PC mode between Dynamic, Standard or Custom.
Wide Mode: You are able to select between the following Wide settings in PC mode.
- Normal: displays original image size
- Full 1: enlarges the picture to fill the display area keeping its original ratio
- Full 2: enlarge the picture to fill the display area
Horizontal and Vertical Center: This feature allows you to move the position of the picture up/down and left/right in PC mode.
Pitch and Phase Adjustment: These two features allow you adjust the uneven sharpness displayed on the screen.
Auto Adjustment: This setting automatically adjusts the display position, Phase and Pitch of the picture when the TV receives an input signal from the connected PC.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including DVD players, laserdisc players, VCRs, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
HDMI Inputs: The TV features two rear HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) inputs that provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a DTV set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV. One of the two HDMI inputs has an audio input.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output. The audio jacks are only operable when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off.
Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.
Control S: Control S allows you to control the TV and other Sony equipment with one remote control. There are two Control S connections; both 3.5mm mini-jacks, one in and one out.
CableCard Slot: The cable card slot is located on the rear panel of the TV.
PC Input: The TV is equipped with D-Sub 15-pin connector to connect to your PC with an optional HD15-HD15 cable to use your TV as a computer monitor. The TV also feature a PC mini-jack input to transfer audio from your PC to the TV.
Front Panel Inputs: The TV features a composite video, stereo RCA audio and HDMI input on the front panel.
The Sony KDS-R60XBR2 replaces these items
- 1080p HDTV with built-in over-the-air HD tuner and CableCARD slot
- tabletop rear-projection design with slim cabinet
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio