About the Optoma UHZ65LV
Bright lights, big picture
Bright lights, big picture
Many projectors are designed for use in dark rooms, which is not something everyone can achieve. Fortunately, there are projectors like this Optoma UHZ65LV that get bright enough to compensate for the lighting situation in real-life living rooms. Its laser light source produces an impressive 5,000 lumens of brightness, so you can enjoy a vivid picture — even during the day — on screens up to 302 inches. Plus, that laser offers up to 30,000 hours of maintenance-free life.
DLP micromirror technology
If you've been to a movie theater in the last twenty years, there's a good chance you've seen a DLP (Digital Light Processing) projector in action. Those professional projectors are massive and expensive, and they feature three DLP imaging chips — one each for the red, green, and blue color primaries.
Most home DLP projectors, including the UHZ65LV, use a single DLP chip with a color wheel to reproduce the full color spectrum. The underlying technology sounds like something out of science fiction: DLP chips use millions of tiny mirrors to control the individual pixels that make up the image.
The way it does 4K
The chip in this projector has a native pixel resolution of 2716 x 1528 — roughly half the resolution of a full 4K image. To display all the pixels needed for 4K, each frame of video is split into two half-frames, and they're displayed very rapidly one after the other, with the pixels shifted diagonally. Your eyes perceive it as a single fluid image containing all of the original detail in the 4K video signal.
The UHZ65LV sets up easily on a table, or you can pick up a bracket and ceiling-mount it. The projector's built-in speakers help facilitate a quick setup. But if you want a little more, use the optical digital audio or minijack audio output to connect to a sound system. It has two HDMI inputs for connecting your high-definition sources. There's also a VGA input if you want to hook up a computer.
For the best picture quality from any projector, we recommend using a projector screen.
- uses single-chip DLP system with XPR pixel-shifting technology to display true 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160)
- DuraCore laser light source delivers crisp image quality, instant on/off, and 30,000-hour life span
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 26" to 302"
- light output: 5,000 lumens
- dynamic black technology for enhanced contrast and black level
- 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- HDR-compatible for lifelike texture and detail (HDR10 and HLG)
- supports 3D content
- 1.6X zoom lens (manual)
- vertical lens shift: +15%
- 2 HDMI inputs (one 2.0, one 1.4a)
- VGA input for connecting a computer
- 1.5A USB Type A port can power streaming sticks (sold separately)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output for connecting to a sound bar or home stereo system
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- detachable power cord
- RJ-45 Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- S/PDIF optical digital audio output
- 12-volt trigger output for controlling a motorized screen
- Kensington™ lock port to prevent theft
- 29dB cooling fan
- built-in speakers (5 watts x 2)
- backlit remote control
- projection method: front, rear, upside down
- can be ceiling-mounted with bracket (sold separately)
- 19-3/4"W x 6-3/4"H x 13-1/4"D (includes allowance for cable connections)
- weight: 23.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor on the projector; 5 years or 12,000 hours on the laser light source (whichever comes first)
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # UHZ65LV
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Lens cap (pre-installed)
- Quick Start User Manual
Customer reviews for Optoma UHZ65LV
Average review:4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Optoma UHZ65LV
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||2716 x 1528|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||4K UHD (8.3 million pixels)|
|Picture Size Range||26 to 302|
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Dynamic Iris||Dynamic Laser Dimming|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||5000|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||No|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Audio Output||3.5mm, Optical|
|USB Media Port||Charging only|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20000-30000 hrs|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 years|
|Labor Warranty||2 years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
DLP laser projector: The Optoma UHZ65LV projector incorporates DLP technology from Texas Instruments (TI), which creates razor sharp pictures and amazing videos with incredible colors and brightness, while also providing reliability and longevity. It can be used with 26" to 302" screen sizes.
- DLP is a reflective technology and can deliver images with both high native ANSI contrast (2,000,000:1) and exceptional brightness (5000 lumens), creating a picture that is natural and life-like.
- Video and graphics produced by the latest DLP technology are sharper because the mirrors on the DLP chip are so close together that the gaps between pixels in an image are less noticeable. Spaced less than one micron apart, its mirrors create a crisp, detailed image.
- The inherent speed of DLP technology means that Optoma projector can output video and images at an astonishing rate of 240Hz (1080p), 120Hz (1080p), or 60Hz (4K) for clear and seamless motion.
DuraCore Laser Light Source: A DuraCore Laser light source eliminates lamp and filter replacements for up to 30,000 hours of maintenance-free operation with consistent brightness, stunning color and exceptional image quality throughout the life of the projector. The UHZ265LV powers on nearly instantly with full brightness thanks to its DuraCore Laser light source, unlike lamp projectors that need warming up. Engineered for the ultimate home theater, the incredibly bright DuraCore Laser light source delivers an amazing visual experience at any hour of the day.
- Optoma DuraCore Laser projectors have a sealed, dust resistant optical engine to ensure excellent reliability.
- The DuraCore Laser light source maintains stable brightness (5000 lumens) and color performance over the life of the projector without regressive decay like lamps.
- Up to 30,000 hours (Eco mode) or 20,000 hours (Bright mode) of light source life ensures many years of reliable operation without lamp replacements.
Note: Optoma laser projectors use high-quality lasers to create the projected image. In many situations the perceived brightness from laser illumination projectors can be twice that of an equivalent lamp-based model. They also deliver increased efficiency to maintain consistent brightness, superior color performance, instant on/off and an extraordinary life span of up to 30,000 hours.
Projection Lens: The Optoma UHZ265LV features a high-quality optical elements projection lens with a focal length of 20.91mm to 32.62mm and throw ratio of 1.39:1 to 2.22:1. The projection lens' uncompromising optical quality delivers extremely low color flare and chromatic aberration resulting in a crystal clear, high contrast image.
- Manual Zoom & Focus: The projection lens offers a 1.6x zoom with a manual zoom lever and focus ring to make sure your projected image looks great on screen. The projector will focus at a distance of 4.3' to 30.5'.
- Lens Shift: To adjust the image position on-screen, turn the lens shift dial clockwise or counterclockwise to adjust the position of the projected image vertically.
XPR 4K Pixel-Shift Technology: Texas Instrument's XPR Technology is a pixel-shifting technology that helps the DLP laser projector achieve CTA (Consumer Technology Association) approved 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. XPR Technology utilizes lightning fast pixel-shifting that creates pixels horizontally and vertically in 4-ways to perfectly quadruple the DLP laser projector's 0.66" DMD 2716x1528 chip and generates 8.3 million distinct pixels on-screen. That's 4x more detail than Full HD 1080p and more than 2x the detail of Epson's 4K Pro UHD technology, which delivers just 4.1 million pixels.
- 4K UHD Resolution: 4K UHD resolution delivers sharper, life-like images and richer colors - allowing you to sit closer to the screen and enjoy a more immersive experience.
- 4K UHD Upscale: The UHZ65LV projector will also upscale lower resolution source content to 4K UHD. It will upscale 720p and 1080i/p video resolutions to 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 60Hz.
- UltraDetail: In addition, the UHZ65LV possesses an exclusive image algorithm function, UltraDetail, that adjust the edges of the projected image in order to provide even more perceived details.
Note: The Optoma UHZ65LV is not Native 4K. It uses pixel-shifting technology to create a 4K display image from a 2716x1528 DLP chip.
PureEngine with UltraDetail: The UHZ65LV DLP laser projector utilizes Optoma's PureEngine & Ultra Detail technologies for outstanding video performance. Combined, these two video technologies ensure all the information contained in an image is faithfully reproduced on the screen giving a stunning crystal clear, pin-sharp picture.
Amazing Color Technology: The Optoma DLP laser projector provides reliable color performance (up to 1073.4 million colors) suitable for practically any content and environment. Its capable of producing accurate cinematic color exactly as the director intended. Its also capable of producing more saturated colors for a more vibrant looking image, great for gaming and animated movies.
- Super Wide Gamut II: Utilizing Optoma's Super Wide Gamut II technology, the 2nd generation of color enhancement technology, Optoma UHZ65 is equipped with a unique phosphor wheel and color wheel design, providing superior color coverage of 100% Rec.709 gamut and 82% of DCI-P3, while also compatible with BT.2020.
- CMS (Color Management System): Its CMS (Color Management System) displays accurate lifelike colors to best match your viewing content and environment; this unique feature provides you with the flexibility to fine-tune the color settings for optimal precision.
PureContrast & Dynamic Black Technology: PureContrast & Dynamic Black Technology gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the laser output, based on the brightness information of each frame. As a result, the Optoma UHZ65LV DLP laser projector can create a stunning high contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1. Bright scenes appear crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks and exceptional light and shade detail.
PureMotion (24p): Using sophisticated frame-interpolation technology, advanced motion control processing eliminates motion blurring or image judder, even in high-speed action consequentialness is a form of video processing with an attempt to make video filmed in 24fps to be more smooth and to compensate for motion blur. The processing will generate transitional frames in between the existing ones to reduce motion judder. You will enjoy smooth fast-moving scenes with PureMotion.
HDR Compatible: The Optoma UHZ65LV is capable of receiving and displaying HDR content via its HDMI 2.0 input. HDR (High Dynamic Range) enhances the image brightness and contrast for more detail and texture with a greater sense of depth in order to produce a more natural and life like image. The projector is compatible with HDR10 and HLG formats (not compatible with HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). You can choose between 4 HDR Picture Modes to adjust the dynamic range according to the video content or environment.
- Bright: Choose the Bright Mode for brighter and more saturated colors.
- Standard: Choose Standard Mode for natural looking colors with a balance of warm and cool tones.
- Film: Choose Film Mode for improved improved motion and film-like image.
- Detail: Choose Detail Mode for improved detail and image sharpness.
3D-Ready: The Optoma UHZ65LV DLP laser projector can display 1080p 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest generation games consoles. You'll need a pair of Optoma's DLP Link active shutter 3D Glasses (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield). Only the HDMI 1.4a input supports 3D video. 3D content is available in 720p or 1080p (not 4K).
Display Modes: You can choose from a variety of factory optimized display mode presets to suit your source content, as well as manually adjust picture settings to suit your personal preference.
- Presentation: This mode is suitable for showing in front of public in connection to the PC
- Cinema: The Cinema Mode provides the best colors for watching movies.
- Game: Select Game Mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games.
- Bright: The Bright mode offers maximum brightness.
- HDR/HLG: HDR Mode decodes and displays High Dynamic Range (HDR) content for the deepest blacks, brightest whites, and vivid cinematic color. This mode will be automatically enabled if HDR is set to On and HDR Content is sent to the projector. There is also a dedicated HLG mode for HDR content that uses the Hybrid Log-Gamma format.
- HDR SIM: This mode is used to enhance non-HDR content with simulated High Dynamic Range (HDR). Choose this mode to enhance gamma, contrast, and color saturation for non-HDR content (720p and 1080p Broadcast/Cable TV, 1080p Blu-ray, non-HDR Games, etc). This mode can only be used with non-HDR content.
- HDR2: This mode produces less bright image but adds more details to the projected image. Suitable for rooms with some ambient light.
- sRGB: This mode produces standardized accurate color.
- 3D: 3D Mode allows you to enjoy a three-dimensional effect from 3D content; 3D active glass are required and sold separately.
- DICOM SIM: This mode can project a monochrome medical image such as an X ray radiography, MRI, etc.
- User: The User Mode allows you to manually adjust the projector's Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, Tint, Gamma, Color Temperature, Color Space, and RGB.
Mounting Options: The Optoma DLP laser projector is designed to be installed in one of 4 possible positions. It can be tabletop or ceiling mounted in front of or behind your projection screen (ceiling mounting bracket sold separately). The projector should be placed flat on a surface and 90-degrees (perpendicular) to the screen. The projector is equipped with three adjustable feet for adjusting the image height when installing the projector on a tabletop. There are four M6 threaded inserts on the bottom of the projector to attach a ceiling mount bracket (sold separately).
- The tilt angle of the projector should not exceed 15 degrees, nor should the projector be installed in any way other than the tabletop and ceiling mount, otherwise lamp life could decrease dramatically, and may lead to other unpredictable damages.
- Allow at least 11.8125" on both the left and right sides of the projector, as well as allow at least 3.9375" above and behind the projector for proper ventilation.
Note: Your room layout or personal preference will dictate which installation location you select. Take into consideration the size and position of your screen, the location of a suitable power outlet, as well as the location and distance between the projector and the rest of your audio/video equipment.
Projection Distance: The further away the projector is placed from the screen the projected image size increases and vertical offset also increases proportionally. See chart below for recommended projector distance based on size of screen; or use the Optoma Projection Calculator to assist you with placement of the projector.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|60"||72.72" to 116.04"|
|90"||109.08'' to 174.12"|
|100"||12.2" to 193.44"|
|120"||145.32" to 232.2"|
|150"||181.68" to 290.28"|
Wall Color Adjustment: If you are not going to be using a projection screen and do not have a white wall, you can use the projector's Wall Color adjustment feature. No problem! With the Wall Color setting you can alter the projected image based on the color of your wall. With six options to chose from you can easily adjust for blackboard, light yellow, light green, light blue, pink and grey walls to get the most accurate color gamut.
Integrated Speaker System: The Optoma UHZ65LV is equipped with an integrated high-quality speaker system featuring two full-range transducers powered by a 4 watt x 2 channel amplifier, plus a passive radiator. The integrated speaker system has its own enclosure that allows the full-range transducer together with large passive radiator to produce undistorted sound whether watching movies, playing games or other sound effects. To improve the clarify, and prevent vibration or any unwanted frequencies that could impact image quality, the speaker enclosure is separated from the projector chassis with silicon.
Dual HDMI Inputs: With dual HDMI inputs (one HDMI 2.0 and one HDMI 1.4a), you can connect your game console, set-top box, laptop, PC, Blu-ray player or media streamer to the Optoma UHZ65LVDLP laser projector. You can even turn it into a smart projector by connecting an HDMI dongle like the Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, or Roku stick (sold separately).
- HDMI 2.0: The HDMI 2.0 input supports up to a 4K/60Hz (3840 x 2160) video signal, HDR (High Dynamic Range), and is HDCP 2.2 compliant for playback of copyrighted 4K/HDR material. It will also playback copyrighted 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p content (3D video is not supported). The HDMI 2.0 input is also MHL compatible.
- HDMI 1.4a: The HDMI 1.4a input supports up to a 4K/30Hz (3840 x 2160) video image and is also HDCP 2.2 compliant for playback of copyrighted 4K material. It will also playback copyrighted 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p content; as well as 3D video. The HDMI 1.4a input does not support HDR.
Note: There are no analog composite or component video input.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 2.0 input is MHL compatible which allows connection of certain mobile devices, including some Android OS smartphones and tablets. You'll be able to transmit audio and video from your MHL compatible source device to the Optoma DLP laser projector. Click here to find MHL compatible source devices.
PC Input: The Optoma UHZ65LV is equipped with a VGA (15-pin D-Sub) connector and stereo minijack 3.5mm audio input for connection of a computer monitor. The VGA input supports the following video resolutions - 4K UHD (2160p), WUXGA, HDTV (1080p), UXGA, SXGA, WXGA+, WXGA (1366x768), WXGA, HDTV (720p), XGA, SVGA, VGA,
Analog & Digital Audio Outputs: The Optoma UHZ65LV is is outfitted with stereo minijack (3.mm) analog audio output and a optical (toslink) digital audio output to connect the projector to an active soundbar, powered speaker, or AV receiver. The optical (toslink) digital audio output supports 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (not DTS compatible).
Note: The projector does not support HDMI ARC or eARC.
USB Power Port: Use the projector's USB-A port (5V/1.5A) to power an HDMI dongle, such as Google Chromecast or Roku Stick (sold separately). There is also a USB-A port that is used for service purposes only.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Optoma UHZ65LV DLP laser projector comes with a detachable 6' IEC 3-prong power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet; preferably a surge protected AC outlet.
Top-Panel: Top-panel controls included Power, Menu, Source, Information, Re-Sync, 4 Directional Select Keys, and Keystone Correction. Also on the top-panel are 3 LEDs that indicate On/Standby, Lamp, and Temperature. The top-panel controls are hidden behind a removal top-cover.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Optoma DLP laser projector. The IR (infrared) control sensor is located on top of the projector. Make sure to hold the remote control at an angle within 30 degrees perpendicular to the projector's top IR remote control sensor to function correctly. The distance between the remote control and the sensor should be no longer than 23'.
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) enables synchronization of Power On/Off between the UHZ65LV and connected HDMI-CEC compatible sources.
IP & RS-232C Control: The projector offers remote management control through a RJ45 (LAN) network connection or via RS-232C port. Either connection can be used to control Power, Brightness, Contrast, and other projector settings from your laptop or desktop computer, or a 3rd party remote management system - such as Crestron, Extron, AMX, or PJLink.
12V Trigger Out: The 12V Trigger Out consists a female mono-minijack (3.5mm) which enables control of motorized screens that feature a 12V Trigger Input.
Timers: A Sleep Timer allows you to set the projector to automatically turn off after a predetermined set amount of time. The Security Timer lets you set the number of hours the projector can be used; once this time has elapsed you will be requested to enter your password again.
Auto Power Off: There may be instances when the projector is left running when not in use. To help save energy, the Auto Power Off feature automatically turns off the projector after a set period of time if it is not being used.