About the Arcam AVR5
Kick your home theater up a notch
Kick your home theater up a notch
Arcam is an industry-leading company that's well-known for crafting some of the finest receivers and amplifiers around. Their sleek-looking AVR5 home theater receiver aims to take your movies and music to the next level. This receiver has seven channels of amplification onboard to power your speakers, as well as advanced 4K video and surround sound processing to make your films really pop.
Robust power for your speakers
The AVR5 uses a well-designed Class AB amplifier that dishes out 80 watts per channel. It's complemented by an over-engineered power supply and transformer that help reduce noise before it ever hits the amp stage. Arcam's audiophile-approved amp design provides a vanishingly low noise floor and a high signal-to-noise ratio. In the real-world, those on-paper specs result in premium performance and optimum clarity.
Build a fantastic entertainment system around Arcam's AVR5. Its seven channels of amplification offer plenty of power for most speakers.
Step into cinematic soundscapes
Arcam knows how awesome home theater can be, so they made sure the AVR5 is up-to-par. It supports 12 channels of surround sound decoding for three-dimensional sound formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
The receiver's onboard channels are great if you'd like to run a 7.1 or 7.2 system, including a pair of speakers for height effects. Its rear-panel preamp outputs let you run an even larger system. Using additional amplifiers, you can expand all the way up to 11.2 channels. Either way, this receiver accurately reproduces every aspect of a movie's soundtrack, from thunder above, to explosions behind, and front-and-center action unfolding on-screen.
Streaming albums made easy
This receiver offers plenty of ways to get your music going. It supports streaming through Apple AirPlay® 2, Google Chromecast, Bluetooth®, Spotify Connect®, and TIDAL Connect. It supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) too, which lets you access high-res files stored on your home network. You can select streaming sources through the free MusicLife app (available on Android™ and iOS®). The app also lets you use your phone as a Wi-Fi remote control
Power and processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- supports up to a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup with an additional 4-channel amplifier (or two 2-channel power amplifiers)
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced content
- ready for Dirac Live® room correction (not included, sold separately)
- ESS 9026PRO audiophile digital-to-analog converter for ultra-clear sound from stereo and surround sources
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 7 in, 2 out
- dual HDMI outputs for sending signal to both a TV and a projector
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 4 coaxial
- 6 analog RCA stereo audio inputs, plus front-panel 3.5mm minijack input
- 11.2-channel preamp outputs
- no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- rear-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- Ethernet port for network connection
- RS-232, IR (infrared), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional 3rd party controllers
- front-panel 3.5mm mini headphone output
- detachable power cord
- free Arcam MusicLife and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) control apps let you use your iOS® or Android™ device as a wireless remote control
- wireless music streaming through Bluetooth, Apple AirPlay 2, and Chromecast built-in
- built-in FM tuner
- remote control included
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 17-1/16"W x 6-11/16"H x 18-9/16"D
- weight: 36.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # ARCAVR5AM
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 WiFi antennas
- Bluetooth antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Start booklet
- "Thank You" letter
Customer reviews for Arcam AVR5
Average review:4.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam AVR5
Features & specs
Class AB Power Amplification: The Arcam AVR5 is equipped with a 7-channel Class AB amplifier that is rated at 80 watts (2-channels driven into 8-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.02% THD) or 60 watts (7-channels driven into 8-ohm, at 1kHz, with 0.2% THD). The combination of the Arcam AVR5's efficient class AB amplification and its frame-type transformer delivers a high level of transparency with dynamic, captivating sound. The AV receiver's amplifier will power up to seven speakers and can be configured in a variety of ways to meet your setup and application.
- 7.1ch Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured for 7.1ch playback with Surround Back speakers, so you can enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD movie soundtracks. In this configuration there are no Height speakers.
- 5.1ch Biamp: You can configure the amplifier for front bi-amp operation to achieve a higher-quality sound by connecting the receiver's front and surround back channels to your main front speakers (if compatible). The receiver will be limited to 5.1ch surround. In this configuration there are no Surround or Height speakers.
- 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos: This amplifier configuration provides 5.1.2ch playback using either top front, top middle, Dolby Atmos enabled front, or Dolby Atmos enabled surround speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie soundtracks. In this configuration there are Surround Back speakers.
- 5.1.4ch Dolby Atmos (Requires Additional Amplifier): The AV receiver can be configured for 5.1.4ch playback with the receiver's amplifier powering seven channels (Front / Center / Surround / Height) and an external amplifier powering the other Height channels (Height 2).
- 7.1.2ch or 7.1.4ch Dolby Atmos (Requires Additional Power Amplifier): The AV receiver can be configured for 7.1.2ch or 7.1.4ch playback with the receiver's amplifier powering seven channels (Front / Center / Surround / Surround Back) and an external amplifier(s) powering two or four Height channels (Height 1 / Height 2).
ESS 9026PRO Audiophile DAC: The Arcam AVR5 AV receiver utilizes a ESS 9026PRO DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz multichannel audio for audiophile-grade sound quality. It supports a variety of high-resolution and multichannel audio formats and codecs - including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DSD, and MQA.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Arcam AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (7 Inputs/2 Outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD |
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Inputs/4 Coaxial Inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience. The AVR5 also allows you to upmix 2ch and Dolby Digital soundtracks with Dolby Surround, as well as create virtual height effects using Dolby Virtual Height mode.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Virtual Height: Dolby Virtual Height provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or even 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Virtual Height applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
DTS:X: DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. DTS:X places sound in a movie soundtrack where it would occur naturally in space, creating a truly lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports you (the audience) into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering a truly captivating home cinema experience. The AVR5 also allows you to upmix 2ch and DTS soundtracks with DTS Neural:X, as well as create virtual height effects using DTS Virtual:X mode.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes that cannot accommodate overhead speakers, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
Master Quality Authenticated (MQA): The Arcam AVR5 will playback and decodes MQA content from UPnP network audio sources. Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio. At this level of playback you are hearing what was created in the studio ,with precise file and platform-specific DAC compensation and management. MQA is supported via a wired or wireless UPnP network connection only.
HiFi Stereo: In addition to home theater applications, the Arcam AVR5 can be utilized for HiFi stereo sound when critically listening to your music library. It offers 2ch Stereo and All-Channel Stereo modes, as well as Direct modes that turns off necessary DSP and surround sound processing for a purer music listening experience.
- Stereo Modes: In Stereo mode, the Arcam AVR5 works as a high-quality 2ch amplifier for stereo playback from the two connected front left and right loudspeakers. In Multichannel Stereo mode (5ch or 7ch), the AVR5 produces an output from all speakers by copying the left output to all left speakers and the right output to all right speakers. The center speaker outputs a mix of left and right. The powered subwoofer can be enabled or disabled in Stereo or Multichannel Stereo modes.
- Direct Modes: The Stereo Direct mode automatically bypasses all of the receiver's processing and any surround functions. In Stereo Direct mode, digital processing is shut down to improve the sound quality and reduces digital noise with the receiver to an absolute minimum. When Stereo Direct mode is selected, no digital output is available and no bass management is performed (no audio will be output from a connected powered subwoofer). CD Direct turns off the compressed audio detection mute delay and should only be used for sources that will only transmit PCM audio (such as a CD player).
Manual Speaker Setup: The Arcam AVR5 offers manual speaker setup allowing to specify Speaker Types (Large/Small/None), Speaker Distances, Speaker Levels, and Sub Controls (Crossover/Slope/Gain). You can upgrade to Dirac Live auto room calibration for $259 (Limited Bandwidth) or $349 (Full Bandwidth). Compatible Windows PC or Mac computer, plus calibration microphone will be required and sold separately.
Level Controls: The Arcam AVR5 allows you to adjust the receivers Bass & Treble, Input Trim, Maximum Volume levels to your desired preference.
- Bass & Treble: The Arcam AV receiver offers independent Bass & Treble tone control for all connected speakers and for each individual source input, allowing you to set up different Bass & Treble tone setting for different source content. The Bass & Treble settings range is -12 to +12 dB. There is also a Balance control to adjust the left and right balance between the front and left speakers.
- Input Trim: Input Trim allows you to set the maximum analog input signal level (sensitivity) for each analog input before the ADC (analog-to-digital converter) signal path clips. This helps maximize signal-to-noise performance of the receiver and also helps keep the various analog sources sounding about the same level for any given receiver volume control setting. The Input Trim can be set to 1, 2, or 4 volts.
- Maximum Volume: You can limit the maximum volume setting the system can be turned up to; this is a useful feature to prevent accidental overdriving of low power-handling speakers. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up. You can also limit the maximum volume the system operates in when it is switched on or comes out of Standby. The system comes on at this stored volume setting if the last used volume exceeds this value. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up. The volume range of this receiver is 0-99dB.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Arcam AVR5 is equipped with analog & digital audio inputs. There are four coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, two optical (toslink) digital inputs, and six stereo line-level (RCA) inputs. There is a also a front-panel 3.5mm Aux input for temporary connection of an external audio source, such as a portable MP3 player.
Note: This receiver is not equipped with a Phono input to connect a turntable. To connect a turntable, you'll need an external phono preamp or a turntable with a built-in phono preamp. See Accessories Tab for phono preamps (sold separately).
Audio Outputs: The Arcam AVR5 AV receiver is outfitted with binding-post speaker terminals and 7.2.4ch RCA preouts, along with a stereo line-output, digital output, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Gold-Plated Binding-Post Speaker Outputs: The AVR5 AV receiver is outfitted with gold-plated binding-post terminals for all of its speaker outputs. The binding-post terminals accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only); you'll need to remove the plastic caps to use banana plugs. The gold-plated terminals offers excellent signal transfer and resistance to corrosion. Speaker outputs include Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back/Height 1 Left, and Surround Back/Height 1 Right. Only connect loudspeakers with an 8-ohm impedance.
- 7.2.4ch Preamp Outputs: The Arcam receiver is equipped with 7.2.4ch preamp outputs to connect external amplifier(s) to power your loudspeakers and connect up to two powered subwoofers (non-discretely). The 7.2.4ch preamp outputs consists of Front Left/Front Right, Center, Surround Left/Surround Right, Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right, Height Left 1/Height Right 1, Height Left 2/Height Right 2, and Subwoofer 1/Subwoofer 2.
- Line Out & Digital Out: The Arcam AVR5 is also equipped with a stereo line output and optical (toslink) digital output for the output of an analog or digital audio signal.
- Headphone Jack: The Arcam AVR5 features a front-panel 3.5mm headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones (impedance rating between 32-ohm and 600-ohm. The headphone jack is always active, except when receiver is muted. When a set of headphones is connected to the headphone jack, the receiver's speaker outputs and preamp outputs are automatically muted.
FM Tuner: The Arcam AVR5 AV receiver features a built-in FM tuner (there is no AM tuner) and comes with an FM wire antenna. You can store up to 50 FM station presets.
HDMI 2.0b: The Arcam AVR5 is equipped with seven HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs. All seven HDMI inputs and both HDMI outputs feature the HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60Hz Ultra-HD video, HDCP 2.2, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All seven of the HDMI inputs and both HDMI outputs support 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. The HDMI jacks will also pass a 1080p/i, 720p, and 480p/i video signals via HDMI.
- HDPCP 2.2 Compliant: All of HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI inputs and outputs support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (4K 60Hz/50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): BT.2020 is supported on all HDMI inputs and outputs. The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- This receiver does not upscale HDMI video.
- This receiver is not equipped with analog composite or component video inputs/outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This receiver supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Dual HDMI Outputs: The Arcam AVR5 is equipped with dual HDMI outputs - a Main HDMI output and sub HDMI output. The Main and Sub HDMI outputs are parallel and distribute the same HDMI input signal simultaneously to two separate displays.
Other HDMI Features: The Arcam AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers HDMI Standby Passthrough, Lip Sync function, and 3D video pass-through,.
- HDMI Standby Passthrough: When the AVR5 is in standby mode (power off), the HDMI Standby Passthrough feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
- Lyp Sync: Each input can have its own setting to add a time delay between the audio and video signals to compensate for the sound and picture not being synchronized. This is normally required when video processing is used in the system for scaling or de-interlacing video. The range of lip sync delay is 0 to 250 milliseconds.
- 3D Ready: The Arcam AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Arcam AVR5 supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The AVR5 is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the AV receiver to your network, you gain access to Chromecast built-in music apps, Spotify Connect, Apple AirPlay 2 for iOS devices, and UPnP audio file sharing.
Note: Make sure to connect the two included WiFi antennas when setting up a wireless network connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV receiver.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the ARCAM AV receiver from within the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device, as well as your Windows PC or Mac computer. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Arcam AVR5. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Arcam AVR5 receiver.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Arcam AVR5. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The AVR5 receiver and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play): With a network connection, you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver. For playback from a network device, the network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service, such as Windows Media Player 11. Other free and paid-for UPnP services are available for other computer operating systems. Some network attached storage (NAS) systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service. You'll be able to control your music from the included IR remote or the free for (Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) . Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC ( up to 24-bit/192kHz); as well as MQA audio files.
Roon Ready: Roon Ready network devices have Roon's streaming technology built in, and are certified by Roon Labs to provide the highest level of quality and performance in network streaming. Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Arcam receiver and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, DSD, and MQA) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal music streaming service. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the Arcam receiver and all other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Arcam receiver or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Arcam AV receiver. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or player (sold separately) located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio w/ aptX HD: The Arcam AVR5 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to the AV receiver.
- Supported Codecs: In addition to support for Bluetooth's standard SBC audio codec, the AVR5 supports AAC for higher quality playback from Apple iOS devices, as well as support of aptX HD for 24-bit/48kHz audio playback from compatible devices. aptX HD supports 48kHz/24-bit LPCM audio over a Bluetooth wireless connection for a "better-than-CD" listening experience.
- Control & Display: You can control Volume, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track from the included remote control. The receiver's front-panel LCD will also display song/artist/album info (no album art). Song/artist/album info is not displayed on the connected TV.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be paired with the AV receiver, but only one can be connected and used at a time. The Arcam AVR5 does not support auto reconnection with previously paired Bluetooth devices.
Note: Make sure to connect the included Bluetooth antenna.
Universal Remote: The Arcam AVR5 receiver is supplied with a universal backlit remote control that can control up to eight devices. It is pre-programmed for use with this AV receiver and many other Arcam products (CD players, DVD players, etc). With its extensive built-in library of codes, it can also be used with thousands of other manufacturer's audio/video components (such as TVs, satellite/cable boxes, Blu-ray players, etc.). It is also a "learning" remote, so you can teach it almost any IR function from another component's remote control. A backlight comes on for eight seconds whenever a key is pressed on the remote, helping you use the remote control in low lighting conditions.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Arcam AVR5 supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
MusicLife App: The free Music Life App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to wirelessly stream music stored on your computer and your compatible smartphone or tablet device to the Arcam AV receiver, as well control playback from your mobile device. You'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver and control playback from the MusicLife app on your compatible mobile device. You also get to stream content stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device to the Arcam receiver using the MusicLife app with playback control functions.
Note: Your music library must be stored physically on your computer or mobile device, not on a Cloud service.
Custom Integration Control: The Arcam AVR5 custom integration control through a network connection, RS232 port, IR inputs, and 12V trigger outputs.
- IP Control: When connected to your network via Ethernet, you can control select functions of the Arcam AV receiver with the IP control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser. IP Control can be set to to work even when the receiver is in Standby (Off) mode).
- RS232 Port: The AV receiver is equipped with an RS232 Port that can be used to connect external control devices from Crestron and AMX (sold separately).
- IR Inputs: The two infrared inputs (3.5mm) allow the connection of external IR receivers, either when the receiver's front-panel IR receiver is fully or partially obstructed.
- Trigger Outputs The two 12V trigger outputs (12V/70mA) can be used to switch on and off other components with a 12V trigger input in your system.
On-Screen Menu: The Arcam AVR5 features an on-screen user interface for the setup menus. The on-screen user interface and setup menus are only available through the main HDMI monitor output (the Sub HDMI output does not support the on-screen menu). You can select the language for the on-screen setup menus; choose from English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, or Chinese.
Front-Panel Display: The Arcam AVR5 is also equipped with a large front-panel display which lets you view menu settings, volume level, source selection, and song/artist/album info (no album art).
Input Name Edit: You can change the name of any input to more closely match your setup and the type of audio/video component you have connected.
Firmware & Software Downloads: The firmware and software of the Arcam AV receiver can be updated over a wired or wireless network connection, plus via USB. You can check for over the network firmware updates from the AV receiver, or download the latest firmware file (together with upgrading instructions) from the Arcam website (www.arcam.co.uk).
2 questions already asked