About the Rotel RB-1582 MkII
Plenty of power for a two-channel system
Plenty of power for a two-channel system
The Rotel RB-1582 MkII provides up to 200 watts per channel, and it's 4-ohm stable, so it's compatible with a wide array of speakers. It has a custom-designed toroidal transformer inside, regulated by high-quality, British-made capacitors. It helps your speakers "get loud," and at the same time offers pinpoint control over the stop/start motion of the drivers, for a dynamic, accurate listening experience.
Rotel engineered this amplifier to deliver nuanced sound in a stereo music system, but you can also use it to drive one pair of speakers in a multi-channel home theater system. There are balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs on the rear panel, plus two pairs of 5-way speaker binding posts.
Rotel has been crafting high-performance gear for music and home theater enthusiasts since 1961. They focus on creating the best signal path possible, using premium capacitors, transistors, diode bridges, and custom toroidal power supplies to get the most from music and movie soundtracks. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of Rotel components including preamps, amplifiers, CD players, and home theater processors.
- 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.03% THD with 2 channels driven
- 4-ohm stable for use with a wide range of speakers
- Class AB amplifier design
- custom-made toroidal transformer
- high-quality, British-made capacitors
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz (±0.5dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 116 dB
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- two pairs of 5-way binding post speaker connectors
- switchable 12-volt in/out trigger
- detachable power cord
- rack mounting ears included
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 5-7/8"H x 16"D (3U rack spaces)
- weight: 39 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # ROT1025003
What's in the box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 5' AC power cord
- 40" Mono-minijack cable
- 2 Rack-mount ears
- 4 Pan-head screws
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- 2 Power button masking rings
- Owner's manual on CD-ROM
- Warranty Information
- Rack Frame Assembly Instructions
Customer reviews for Rotel RB-1582 MkII
Average review:5.0 out of 5 stars
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Rotel RB-1582 MkII
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||200|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||325|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
|Input Type||RCA, XLR|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding Post|
Robust Class AB Stereo Amplifier: The Rotel RB-1582MKII is a 200 watt x 2 channel class AB amplifier that is engineered to be powerful and robust, yet able to extract every last nuance out of even the most complex music soundtrack. Discrete output devices, a massive power supply, premium components, and Rotel’s Balanced Design Concept ensure superb sound quality. High current capability allow the RB-1582MKII stereo amplifier to drive the most demanding loudspeakers.
- Toroidal Transformer: Each aspect of the amplifier's design is carefully considered holistically to result in maximum audio performance; from the selection of an over-sized power supply featuring a highly efficient, low magnetic field toroidal transformer (custom-designed by Rotel) to multiple, high-current bipolar output transistors.
- Indepent Power Stages: Circuit topology is planned, implemented, evaluated, and adjusted to achieve optimum results. The RB-1582MKII features independent left and right power rectification stages and decoupling, and is essentially a mono block design.
- Premium Capacitors: Further evidence of design over-spec is in the selection of premium "slit-foil" capacitors (60,000µF storage capacity), which provide plenty of reserve energy for extremely dynamic audio passages and are able to quickly replenish themselves due to the nature of their unique design.
- The RB-1582MKII's power output is rated at 200 watts per channel with all channels driven. Rotel has chosen to specify the power output in this way because, in Rotel's experience, it gives the truest value of the receiver or amplifier's power capability.
- When comparing specifications for different amplifiers, you should be aware that power output is often specified in other ways, so you may not be comparing "apples-to-apples". For example, the power output may be quoted with only one channel or two channels driven (not all channels), giving a higher maximum figure.
- Be aware that the RB-1582MKII is capable of high power levels, in excess of 200 watts respectively per channel. Make sure that your speakers can handle the power of the amplifier. If in doubt about your speakers, ask your Crutchfield advisor
Balanced Design Concept: Balanced Design Concept is the essential Rotel design philosophy that revolves around three major areas - Parts selection, circuit topology, and critical evaluation. These aspects influence final sound quality significantly and illustrate the holistic Balanced Design Concept approach to Rotel's product development. Thanks to the Balanced Design Concept, Rotel components easily exceed the performance of many mass produced audio products that offer plenty of features but skimp on audio quality, and compare favorably to components that are many times the price. Rotel continues its pursuit of extraordinary audio performance, which elevates the home entertainment experience through their core values of sonic accuracy, reliability, and affordability.
- Parts Selection: Rotel engineers select premium capacitors which provide better performance across both power and frequency spectrums to produce a more accurate and musical reproduction of the audio signal. High quality power supply capacitors provide a more efficient transfer of energy with fast charging and discharge time to ensure the circuits have the reserve power when needed. At each stage of development, Rotel engineers listen to circuit prototypes and revise the design when they feel they can gain a sonic advantage by using a particular component from another manufacturer or by specifying tighter tolerances. Since Rotel is an independent manufacturer, they are free to source parts from highly respected suppliers around the world to fit their requirements.
- Circuit Topology: It’s not enough to simply use good parts. Where you put them is equally if not more important. That's why Rotel keeps their circuit paths as short as possible, so there's less chance that spurious emissions and unwanted leakages will corrupt delicate signal nuances. That's also why Rotel often uses more expensive "on-board" relay source switching, rather than routing a signal from a rear-panel input to a front-panel control. Rotel also relies heavily on something called Symmetrical Signal Trace design. This keeps each channel's signal path identical to the others to preserve the imaging and soundstage. Rotel also uses electrically superior "star" grounding techniques to improve performance because star grounding routes all ground connections to a single point to reduce potential loops that might introduce noise or produce hum. Further, Rotel's Class A/B amplifiers don’t use output inductors because they decrease control and, consequently, sound quality.
- Critical Evaluation: Rotel's development team places a lot of importance on critical listening sessions before the final product is sent to market. Rotel electronic and acoustic engineers, both in the UK and Asia, have honed their aural acuity over the course of decades of collective experience to evaluate each stage of product development from working samples, through pre-production and, finally, to verify that final production is the same as the pre-production units. Some sessions evaluate different circuit elements: capacitors, resistors, and active devices such as transistors or operational amplifiers. Others focus on differences in circuit layouts or differences caused by power supply elements. Only after this tuning process is complete with sonic performance confirmed will the product be launched to the market.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Rotel RB-1582MKII is equipped with both balanced 3-pin XLR and unbalanced single-ended RCA inputs for the Left & Right channels from your preamplifier or processor. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Note: Only one set of inputs should be connected; never connected both Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs at the same time.
Binding Post Speaker Terminal Outputs: The RB-1582MKII has four sets of color-coded binding posts terminals, two for each channel. The binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The power amp will support up to one pair of 4-ohm loudspeakers or two pair of 8 ohm loudspeakers. There is no A/B switch for the speaker outputs; all speaker outputs are always active.
Note: You should exercise caution when driving multiple pairs of speakers in parallel configuration from a single speaker output, because the effective impedance the amplifier sees is cut in half. For example, when driving two pair of 8 ohm speakers from a single output, the amplifier sees a 4 ohm load. When driving multiple speakers in parallel, it is recommended that you select speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms or higher.
12V Trigger In/Out: The Rotel RB-1582MKII is outfitted with a 12V Trigger input (3.5mm) and output (3.5mm). These 12V triggers can be used to link other components in your system that also offer 12V triggers, so they turn on and off with one another.
Protection Circuitry: The Rotel RB-1582MKII features thermal and over-current protection circuits that protect against potential damage in the event of extreme or faulty operating conditions. Unlike many other designs, these protection circuits are independent of the audio signal and have no impact on sonic performance. Instead, the protection circuits monitors the temperature of the output devices and the current they are handling and shuts down the amplifier if operating conditions exceed safe limits.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Rotel RB-1582MKII power amp can be tabletop mounted and also comes with rack-mount ears. The amp takes up 3U rack spaces once the feet are removed.
- The RB-1582MKII generates heat as part of its normal operation. The heat sinks and ventilation openings in the amplifier are designed to dissipate this heat. The ventilation slots in the top cover must be open. There should be at least 4" of clearance around the chassis, and reasonable airflow through the installation location, to prevent the amplifier from overheating.
- Make sure that the shelf or cabinet can support the weight of the amplifier. The amplifier should be installed in or on furniture designed specifically for audio components. Such furniture is designed to reduce or suppress vibration which can adversely affect sound quality. Ask your Crutchfield advisor for advice about component furniture.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Rotel RB-1582MKII comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the power amp and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line-conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
6 questions already asked